[Dixielandjazz] For the Banjo Players

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 7 07:39:55 PDT 2011

NY TIMES- September 6, 2011, 4:00 PM - BY DAVE ITZKOFF

Steve Martin Honors Another Banjo Player

Though it hasn’t been a great year, economically, for almost anyone,
Steve Martin continues to do what he can to spare bluegrass musicians
the worst of the lingering downturn. On Tuesday Mr. Martin, the actor,
comedian and cultural omnivore, announced that Sammy Shelor, the banjo
player and leader of the Lonesome River Band, is the second winner of
his Steve Martin Prize for Excellence in Banjo and Bluegrass, which
comes with $50,000.

In a telephone interview Mr. Martin said that Mr. Shelor – who has
been named the International Bluegrass Music Association’s banjo
player of the year four times – did not necessarily need further
recognition from his musical peers. “He already is somebody,” Mr.
Martin said.

Comparing Mr. Shelor to Noam Pikelny, the musician who was the first
winner of the Steve Martin Prize, Mr. Martin said Mr. Pikelny
“represented a little more avant-garde-type player, with jazz
influences, although he came from bluegrass.” He added: “Sammy Shelor
represents more of a traditional, Earl Scruggs-type influenced player,
who’s very hard-core bluegrass. But Sammy Shelor influenced a lot of
players. In fact, accidentally, I found out that our last winner was
heavily influenced by Sammy Shelor. He was the No. 1 influence in his
youth.”

Nominees for the Steve Martin Prize are chosen by a board that
includes Mr. Martin, Mr. Scruggs, Pete Wernick, Tony Trischka, Béla
Fleck and others. Mr. Martin said that “five or six very worthy names”
were narrowed down to two or three final candidates on the basis of
“anecdotal factors and emotional factors, that are very hard to define
and probably wouldn’t bear up in a trial.” Mr. Shelor was then chosen
by unanimous vote, he said, to receive the prize, which also comes
with a bronze sculpture created by the artist Eric Fischl.
Additionally, Mr. Shelor and the Lonesome River Band will perform with
Mr. Martin on “Late Show With David Letterman” on Nov. 3.

Mr. Martin, who with his bluegrass band the Steep Canyon Rangers is up
for five International Bluegrass Music Awards at the end of the month,
said he was greatly encouraged to continue the Steve Martin Prize
after receiving a letter from Mr. Pikelny, who said it made possible
the release of his latest album, “Beat the Devil and Carry a Rail.”

“That was heartwarming,” Mr. Martin said. “I guess, at the bottom of
my heart, that’s what it’s meant to do.”

Still, Mr. Martin said he wasn’t thinking too much about whether the
Steve Martin Prize would define his legacy.

“I don’t really trust legacies,” he said. “I just do what I do. I’ve
often thought my headstone would read, ‘Enough.’”