[Dixielandjazz] A Review of: The Performance that never was.

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 7 07:35:33 PDT 2011

The band got a huge kick out of this review in Tuesday's Levittown
Patch. Because, this performance, originally scheduled for August 28
NEVER TOOK PLACE. It was cancelled because of Hurricane Irene. The
rain date was Sept 4, but we couldn't do that because of another rain
date scheduled for the 4th to which we were committed. So a bebop band
under a different name,  took our place. I think the reviewer got the
bands mixed up. <grin>

He describes our BSJB pretty well and even included a photo of us,
which I guess, pissed the other band off. <grin>

BTW. We did get our rain date with them via a 2012 booking.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband

The Barbone Street Jazz Band: Elder Statesmen In Their Prime.
Jazz Purists Bring Many Years of Musical Skills to Levittown

The Falls Township 2011 Summer Concert Series closed out its diverse
lineup with bee-bop bang The Barbone Street Jazz Band, which took
stage Sunday to deliver some of its premium jazz tunes.

TBSJB is a talented collective of world-class musicians whose average
age hovers around 60. In that circle, a ripe age is not indicative of
looming retirement but rather, it serves as a badge of honor and a
hallmark of time-tested quality comparable to wine that betters with
age.

Its members are well acquainted and qualified as curators of the music
they perform as most were in their prime during jazz’s formative
years. As jazz quickly became a countrywide phenomenon, they were
right there in the thick of it all seeing each brick of its ensuing
culture being laid. The club scene flourished back then and provided
ample venues and opportunities for the genre’s creators to display
this newly founded art form en masse. This also gave some members of
TBSJB an opportunity to perform alongside some of the 20th century’s
great jazz legends.

It was in this era that jazz took on many different forms congruent to
the individual styles of each varying artist. This was key and helpful
in the formation of TBSJB because each member though working in
different creative outfits brought with them a unique palate of tested
experiences and skill. Per the group’s own admission they were united
by the common goal and desire of "exploring the roots of jazz and
traditional jazz modernized by their own inventiveness."

TBSJB was founded with the goal of blending varied individual styles
into one cohesive, energetic, distinct and easily identifiable
sounding band. In the band’s simplest form it is a six-piece Dixieland
ensemble. However, the group is quick to note they are not merely
confined to jazz as they play all types of music and organize bands
from a skilled pool of about 45 musicians. These guys put in work. It
is not uncommon for them to have as many as four different bands
simultaneously working separate venues and disseminating grooves
ranging from foot stomping jazz to more mellow background toned music.

Bandleader Steve Barbone, as a retired CEO for a multi-billion dollar
corporation, is well aware of the need to deliver to clients a top-
notch product with praiseworthy service. The goal is simple. Give
customers what they want. Their satisfied clientele includes major
corporations, jazz festivals, parades, universities, fundraisers,
socials, jazz concerts, weddings, municipalities and more. Were you
added to the list of happy feet?