[Dixielandjazz] More Girls Going Crazy

Don Ingle cornet at 1010internet.com
Sun Oct 30 21:42:24 PDT 2011

> BillnHaesler wrote, in regards a Kid Ory recording:
>>> Have you compared it with the version on American Music AMCD-43, which provides the numerical date format: 2/10/47.
>>> Which translates to aliens as 10 February 1947!
>>> Sid Bailey list the date as 10 February 1946.
>>> Coincidence?
>>> Very kind regards,
>>> Bill.

Don Ingle replied:

This MUST be the better (Kid Ory) version. After all, it was recorded on
my 16th birthday - On the date Iwas sitting and listening to Red Nichols
et aal at the Hangover on Vine St. in Hollywood, enthralled by the
constant shaving the fussing with his bass saz reed at "Blizzard Head"
(Joe Rushton) and the silence between he and Red. They wouldn't speak
directly to each other and poor Rollie Culver has to pass on the
messages - which often sounded like this: "Joe - Red says to play a
little lound onthe bridge," to which Joes would say, "Please inform the
Leader that it was loud enogh and go screwhimself.! Was was a wonderful
and tasty drummer but the most uncomfortable of messengers ever.
Great music and an even better sideshow.
By the way, when Ory got back to LA his usual stand was the Beverly
Caverns, and when he was out, Clyde Hurley led a fine band there.