[Dixielandjazz] Red Hot Jazz Site (was Davenport Blues)

Don Kirkman donsno2 at charter.net
Mon Oct 24 10:40:32 PDT 2011

On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 13:42:43 +0100, Andy Ling  wrote:

>Bob Smith wrote on 24/10/2011 13:20:45:
>
>> However, the Mac problem is something we can't address, so it needs
>someone
>> to solve this so that all you unfortunate owners of Macs can get to the
>> recordings on Scott Alexander's magnificent work.
>>

>I sent the following privately to Bill, but if this is a general "Mac"
>problem, others might find it useful.
>
>I'm not a fan of RealPlayer, so I try to avoid it. So far I have
>managed to. On a PC I use Firefox and VLC and this seems
>to work.

There is an alternative to Real Player that has worked well for me,
called, oddly, Real Player Alternative; it's widely available, e.g.,
at http://www.filehippo.com/download_real_alternative/.

I've also used VLC that Andy mentions--it's a player and codecs that
play Real Player files without needing Real Player installed; I don't
have it installed and don't especially care for the player itself, but
it does work.

Unfortunately for the Mac folks, Real Player Alternative is Windows
only.  I don't know of a Mac equivalent.

--
Don Kirkman
donsno2 at charter.net