[Dixielandjazz] Red Hot Jazz Site (was Davenport Blues)

andy.ling at quantel.com andy.ling at quantel.com
Mon Oct 24 05:42:43 PDT 2011

Bob Smith wrote on 24/10/2011 13:20:45:

> However, the Mac problem is something we can't address, so it needs
someone
> to solve this so that all you unfortunate owners of Macs can get to the
> recordings on Scott Alexander's magnificent work.

I sent the following privately to Bill, but if this is a general "Mac"
problem, others might find it useful.

I'm not a fan of RealPlayer, so I try to avoid it. So far I have
managed to. On a PC I use Firefox and VLC and this seems
to work.

Currently I am doing some work on Macs, so have one on my desk.
So I thought I would play. I've tried with both Safari and
Firefox and by default they try and use Quicktime, which doesn't
work. I haven't tried installing RealPlayer, but I have installed
VLC. After Quicktime fails you end up with a downloaded file
(e.g. bodyandsoul.ra) If you right click on this there is an option
in the menu to open in Finder. Once you've done that you can right
click again and there is an option to "Open with...". Select that
and you get a window where you can choose an App to open the file.
By default it only has recommended apps, but if you change
this to "All apps" you can then select VLC (assuming you have
downloaded and installed it). This works for me. There is also
an option to always use VLC. If it works, then it is probably
worth choosing this option.

Hope that helps. Having now got access to a Mac, if you still
have problems, I might be in a better position to help.

Regards

Andy Ling

--

This e-mail is intended for the named addressees only. Its contents may be
privileged or confidential and should be treated as such. If you are not

Quantel is the trade name used by Quantel Holdings Limited and its
subsidiaries.  Quantel Holdings Limited is registered in England & Wales.
Registration No: 4004913
Contact details for all Quantel Offices and Companies can be found on our
website www.quantel.com or by writing to the holding company.
Registered address: Turnpike Road, Newbury, Berkshire, RG14 2NX, United
Kingdom