[Dixielandjazz] Pee Wee and Monk (was Especially For the drummers)

Steve Voce stevevoce at virginmedia.com
Sun Oct 23 08:48:14 PDT 2011

What you mean by 'boring' is that it went over your head.
I'm surprised that you troubled to learn Dave Brubeck's records 'by heart' if you found them boring.
I'm very fond of the playing of Wild Bill, who was a good friend of mine, and of Red Allen, who spent his
last playing time over here in north west England and thoroughly enjoyed himself, despite his illness.
But I like Miles every bit as much as either of them. And more than them he was one of the fundamental
trumpeters who developed the jazz style (Red did in a lesser way, of course).
With such a restricted knowledge on your part it's hardly fair to refer to Brubeck/Miles as 'chaff'.
Steve Voce