[Dixielandjazz] Miles and Trane was Pee Wee and Monk

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 23 08:05:52 PDT 2011

On Oct 23, 2011, at 10:32 AM, Steve Voce wrote:

> I love Miles Davis, but as I write I'm in the middle of reviewing a
> CD by Clarence Williams's washboard bands!

Yeah Steve, in my youth I went to school on the Miles recording of
Green Dolphin Street. It is still one of my favorite song
performances, and one of my favorite jazz groups. Swings its ass off.

Evans gives a lesson in comping and locked hands soloing, Miles in
playing sparely, Trane in vertical improve, Cannonball in building a
solo while Chambers and Cobb set up the pocket.

Miles, John Coltrane, Cannonball Adderly, BillEvans, Paul Chambers,
Jimmy Cobb  Circa 1958.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrVnm66joQk

IMO, Jazz fans of any stripe miss a lot if they don't dig this sound.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband