[Dixielandjazz] Davenport Blues

Roy (Bud) Taylor budtuba at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 08:34:34 PDT 2011

The recordings by Red and Miff's Stompers are the most innovative of the
1920s, in my opinion.  They had arrangements that are very modern sounding
even in today's environment. Stampede and Hurricane were both by Fetcher
Henderson, who recorded the versions most of us have heard and remember,
but  R&M versions are played at generally faster tempo and include both
arranged sections of intricate lead shifts as well as personal
improvisations.  These are both on a CD called Rare Vertical Jazz that is
worth anybody's investment.  I'm guessing that they were too advanced for
the popular ears of the day, for later bands with Red Nichols seemed to be
more conventional and meant to please a wider audience.

BTW Dave Stoddard, I never know WHO was responsible for the Red Hot Jazz
Archive but here is my opportunity to congratulate you and thank you for
such a masterful project.  As our band has evolved, we have taken to
mentoring young musicians from the local community and the Eastman School of
Music and the RHJA has been the BEST source of material for them to listen
to and learn from.  Another trumpet player in our area took up trumpet again
after many years of acquiescence and used your archive to relearn the stuff
and play along to build up his lip.  His band played for our local jazz club
recently and received rave opinions from the club members.  You have
genuinely made this a valuable resource to preserve the tradition.

So to the rest of you readers on this list, go to Red Hot Jazz Archives and
listen to the recordings both by Fletcher Henderson and Red Nichols.

--
Roy (Bud) Taylor
Smugtown Stompers Jazz Band