[Dixielandjazz] Davenport Blues

Dave Stoddard dhs2 at peoplepc.com
Sat Oct 22 23:08:33 PDT 2011

Dear Listers:

If you are not familiar with Vic Berton, then you probably are not familiar with Red and Miff's Stompers, a talented New York small jazz ensemble that made some wonderful records in the mid to late Twenties.  The most notable lineup is Red Nichols (cnt), Miff Mole (tbn), Jimmy Dorsey (reeds), Arthur Schutt (pno), Joe Tarto (tuba) and Vic Berton (dms).  You can catch these recordings on the Red Hot Jazz Archive.  In particular try Stampede, Alabama Stomp and Hurricane.

Those three recordings are notable for being issued as hill-and-dale Edisons.  Those Edisons had the best fidelity of any acoustical recordings, and also played about a minute longer than regular 78s, allowing for more relaxed performances.  Later Stompers recordings are electricals.  They have good fidelity and contain some interesting jazz, but lack the power of the 1926 acoustical recordings, in my view.  The three recordings above are on my recommended Red Hot Jazz Archive listening list.

Regards,
Dave Stoddard
Round Rock, TX