[Dixielandjazz] Where are the young people?

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 07:36:39 PDT 2011

Hello Larry,
> Another thing is that young people here are saturated with music and
> entertainment.  You would think that the novelty of people playing real
> instruments would draw a crowd.

Unfortunately, Larry (Elazar) did not point out in his reply that in
Israel, too, "young people are saturated with music and
entertainment."

> I still maintain that young people here will not pay for OKOM on any
> meaningful scale

What does "meaningful scale" mean?  Larry has quoted examples of
(very) young peope insisting on getting his band.  And I did mention
the young people who pay to hear - and dance to - New Orleans Function
and Swing de Gitanes.  Usually, at those bands' performances, the
"over 50" (actually, in the US it is MUCH over 50) are a small
minority, and people my age (70) - a rarity.

Cheers