[Dixielandjazz] Davenport Blues

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 14:12:10 PDT 2011

> The recordings by Red and Miff's Stompers are the most innovative of the
> 1920s, in my opinion.  They had arrangements that are very modern sounding
> even in today's environment. Stampede and Hurricane were both by Fetcher
> Henderson, who recorded the versions most of us have heard and remember,
> but  R&M versions are played at generally faster tempo and include both
> arranged sections of intricate lead shifts as well as personal
> improvisations.  These are both on a CD called Rare Vertical Jazz that is
> worth anybody's investment.

And previously were on an LP under the same title, on
Broadway-Intermission.  Good stuff, although I've never thought of
comparing it to the Henderson recordings.

The later session has Pee Wee Russell instead of Jimmy Dorsey and Carl
Kress on guitar instead of Tony Colucci's banjo - an improvement as
far as I am concerned.  But I like the minimalistic lineup of the
fiirst session, and I have a weak spot for Arthur Schutt (was he the
arranger?).

 I'm guessing that they were too advanced for
> the popular ears of the day, for later bands with Red Nichols seemed to be
> more conventional and meant to please a wider audience.

Do you mean - including the 1927 R&M Stompers?

Cheers