[Dixielandjazz] FW: Where are the young people?

Dixiejazzdata dixiejazzdata at aol.com
Thu Oct 20 18:43:52 PDT 2011

 Jim is dead on:  They will walk across the street and stay and listen if it Swings and it is GOOD Music.

They will also buy Cds and sign up for mailing "Fan" lists and pay to come and see the Good Bands at other events.
They will also Hire Good Swingin' bands for their parties, most bands that play sit down OKOM concerts are pretty much Boring !!

Young people want to shake their asses just like most OKOM players parents and themselves did when they were young.  Things do not change
no matter how much the wanna Be Concert OKOM acts want it to do or dreams of it happening.

The young go out to PARTY  and if your band can't give it to them then you simply are not going to get hired by them, but give them what they want to hear  and they will pay you ten times what your normal gigs pay you for a lot less work too.

Band leaders like Jim Kashishian, Steve Barbone, and former listmate Tom Wiggins, and a few others on the list have have freely given this kind of advice to the list for years, unfortunately most of it has been ignored.   Perhaps if they charged everyone for it it would then seem useful and worth something.  :))

Key words here:  Swingin'  and interesting to young people, try playing the same music with the fire and energy of a Rock band and watch what happens.

They will get up shake their asses and have a good time, tell all their friends how great it was and book you again for more money.   That's how it works.

Cheers,

Bart,