[Dixielandjazz] Marshall Square Park Concert - guitar style

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 4 13:48:53 PDT 2011

Barbone Street did a concert in the park last Friday. The audience was
sparse at the beginning, (rain forecast and an early start at 5:30 PM)
but later swelled to about 150 people. Then it rained but about 100
stayed, under their umbrellas.

Here is a slide show which the "Friends of the Park" created, using a
song from one of our CDs as background. Most photos are early in the
program before the bulk of the audience arrived.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC2vm6X3oyQ

It gives an example of how our guitarist departs from 4/4 strumming
and does "his" thing. Peter Dann asked earlier today about guitar
style and how a guitar should be played.

As folks can hear, our opinion is that there are precious few rules
about how an instrument should be played in jazz, trad or otherwise. I
think all of us have our preferences and that's fine, but if we all
played the same way, jazz would be quite stilted.

Listen to the in chorus and you can hear the guitar single stringing
the melody at times. Then his backing the clarinet is anything but 4/4
strumming. Works for us and the way we in which play Dixieland Jazz.

Peter, for more about how and what our guitarist plays, go to our
myspace page below my sign off and listen to the songs on it.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband