[Dixielandjazz] The Banjo Project documentary "Give me the banjo" on PBS Nov 4th

Ulf Jagfors ulf.jagfors at telia.com
Tue Oct 4 09:23:01 PDT 2011

COMING NOV. 4TH ON PBS:GIVE ME THE BANJO

 <http://www.thebanjoproject.org/> http://www.thebanjoproject.org/

PBS SAYS "GIVE ME THE BANJO!"
It's official-on 5/10/11, The New York Times' "Arts, Briefly" column
announced that its Fall 2011 line-up will include The Banjo Project
documentary, henceforth to be known as Give Me the Banjo. It will be one
episode in the new mini-series, "PBA Arts Fall Festival," for national prime
time broadcast. The banjo doc's PBS incarnation will be 82 minutes, with
Steve Martin narrating and as many of the players and commentators as will
fit. The DVD/home video is currently being negotiated. Having amassed over
400 hrs of footage during almost a decade of production, producer Marc
Fields and his creative team are now feverishly working to complete
post-production by the end of the summer. "This is the kind of national
prime time showcase that the banjo deserves," commented Fields. "Without the
participation and support of so many in the roots music community, we
wouldn't have been able to create the program and the buzz that PBS has
picked up on. Partnering with PBS will also help to facilitate the kinds of
online educational and archival programs we intend to provide."