[Dixielandjazz] Some basic info sought about guitar style for Dixieland jazz

Peter Dann peterdann at optusnet.com.au
Mon Oct 3 18:44:12 PDT 2011

My apologies if this question has been asked many times before. I am
new to this list.

I am the trumpet player with a Dixieland jazz band which formed around
18 months ago. In Australia, we call this style of band a 'trad jazz'
band. It would be fair to describe our band as 'enthusiastic
amateurs', in that, on the whole, our playing skills, including mine,
do not exactly match our playing aspirations. We all have our
challenges!

Rightly or wrongly, I have been trying to encourage our guitarist (we
do not have a banjo) to play a steady two or four beats to the bar
with very little variation (except when he solos), and with the sound
damped somewhat between beats. I have picked up the impression that
this is how the guitar should be played in this kind of music - but
apart from pointing our guitarist to some specific musical examples
(for example, some Eddie Condon tracks) I have been unable to find any
very definite support anywhere for my view that this is how guitar
'should' be played in this style of music.

It's quite possible, of course, that I am wrong.

I would appreciate hearing the opinions of members of this list on
this topic. I would also be grateful if anyone could point me to any
external source of information on this topic that our guitarist might
possibly regard as 'authoritative' in this area.

Regards,

Peter Dann