[Dixielandjazz] Traditional Jazz (Banjo or guitar)

Gary Kiser gary at kiser.org
Mon Oct 3 16:08:38 PDT 2011

Howdy,

I am probably not the best person to comment on the tuba/bass,
banjo/guitar question 'cause I'm a biased tuba guy. But, Tony has the
zest of how I feel. Why start a song one way and stay that way right up
to the last note? One of the things that people love (and, hate) about
Sac à Pulses is how we change up the rhythms.

There is enough music for everybody. If you like German cars, don't buy
a Nissan. If you are allergic to chocolate, don't order the foret noir.
If you like two-beat West Coast, don't go to a swing concert. There you
go. Where tastes are in questions, nothing is 'better' than anything else.

Jules, Sac à Pulses' banjo/guitar man, plays banjo when we are acoustic.
But, we all prefer when he is amplified so he can play his alto guitar.
It looks like a toy, it is tuned like a violin and we feel it swings
much better than a banjo. But, why should this be? It's played by the
same guy? For me, the alto guitar has a less harsh, less invasive sound.
It blends better in the ensemble.

Here are some clips of us with Jules on alto guitar :

Just One of Those Things
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X27e4-uSMK0

Ballin' the Jack
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PgU-XjxWBs

Linger Awhile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IsRv7NA0dk

Love For Sale
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSAFbeLPjjI

Nuages
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBSxx9T3diY

Mardi Gras in New Orleans
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SgAJ9L7dCY

All the best, Gary

On 03/10/2011 20:20, Tony Pringle wrote:
> Hi again list mates,
>
> What is with this 2 beat or 4 beat? Tunes can start 2 beat and change
> to 4 beat - listen to some New Orleans bands. I prefer a string bass
> on 2 and 4 beat tunes - it makes both swing.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tony Pringle
>
> P.S. This is all about opinions and personal preferences. If we all
> liked exactly the same sting there'd only be a need for one band and a
> few million iPods.

Gary Kiser
34, rue du Président Wilson
63100 Clermont-Ferrand