[Dixielandjazz] Traditional Jazz (Banjo or guitar)

dwlit at cpcug.org dwlit at cpcug.org
Mon Oct 3 15:28:53 PDT 2011

I suppose you can mix rhythms, tempos, etc, when you're playing a concert.
But you don't wanna do that when you're playing for dancing. Oh, you might
make an exception for "St. Louis Blues"...And for reading bands, there was
a neat stock chart of "My heart belongs to daddy" which includes a rhumba
section and ends in hot swing. And a stock of Hoagy's "New Orleans" sped
up one section.

My idea is that playing most tunes at danceable tempos (to some extent
even in concerts; but large proportions of undanceable fast tunes *are*
OK) has a greater impact on the audience because the toes will tap,
shoulders will sway; even if folks aren't dancing, the bodies are
reacting...

--Sheik