[Dixielandjazz] Traditional Jazz (Banjo or guitar)

Ulf Jagfors ulf.jagfors at telia.com
Tue Oct 4 00:50:02 PDT 2011

Is the "alto guitar" ( I have never heard that expression before) just a
standard tenor guitar, tuned in fifth like a violin, mandolin. If so it is
nothing new with that. Tenor guitars have been in use in jazz since the
1920´s.

Yesterday I played a number of slower tunes with my National tricone tenor
guitar, 1928. I always switch between the tenor guitar and the banjo just
depending on the character of the tune. As I use the full metal body four
string guitar with National reso-phonic (loud speaker cones) amplification
system I do not need to amplify it. It cuts throw specially in slower more
mellower tunes and gives the right sustain like a guitar do. There is a
production of new tenor ones from Czechoslovakia. Vintage ones are hard to
find and pretty expensive, around $3000.

Ulf Jagfors

Gary wrote
>>>Jules, Sac à Pulses' banjo/guitar man, plays banjo when we are acoustic.
But, we all prefer when he is amplified so he can play his alto guitar.
It looks like a toy, it is tuned like a violin and we feel it swings
much better than a banjo. But, why should this be? It's played by the
same guy? For me, the alto guitar has a less harsh, less invasive sound.
It blends better in the ensemble.<<<<<