[Dixielandjazz] "A moir de payer" (was Support live jazz)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Oct 1 16:31:02 PDT 2011

Marek Boym wrote [in part]:
> ......while you are right about the title (A moi de payer), the translation as "payoff" appears wrong; the literal translation seems to be "MyTurn to Pay", or
> as an English speaker would say "My Treat."

Dear Marek,
My mate, pianist Dick Hughes, introduced that Bechet piece to the Ray Price band and was a member of the quartet that recorded in on the YouTube link Andy Ling found for us.
Dick met and interviewed Sidney Bechet in Paris for the ABC (Australian national radio) in 1954, where he heard the great man play it.
The encounter is detailed on page 265 of John Chilton's Bechet biography 'Sidney Bechet. The Wizard Of Jazz'.
"The Payoff" was Dick's translation used for the title of the single (the YouTube version) they recored in 1962.
Not being bilingual (except in English and Australian) I am not in a position to comment on Dick's translation.
However, I note that on my Vogue LP, "A moir de payer" is given as "A Moir D'Payer".
Guy Demole's private publication 'Sidney Bechet. His musical activities from 1907 to 1959' also uses "A Moir D'Payer".
Is there a subtle difference?
Come on listmates Gerard Bielderman, Gary Kiser and Alain de La Simone.
Please help us out.
8>)
Very kind regards.
Bill.