[Dixielandjazz] Cotton Club Parade - Reviewed

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 21 10:59:38 PST 2011

Hi Ginny:

By way of Stephen Holden's defense:

Yes there are other musicians of sufficient caliber that could do it.

However, I think what Holden means is that the bands that usually play
broadway shows, while quite expert, are not of the jazz caliber of the
Lincoln Center Jazz Band. The show bands are usually pickup groups of
available musicians. I think Holden is saying that there are not many
existing orchestras that can successfully reprise what Ellington's
orchestra did. And that he thinks LCJB is one of a very few that can.

He points to other broadway revue show bands, (Ain't Misbehavin,
Sophisticated Ladies, Black and Blue) as not of the caliber of LCJB
and IMO he is right.

Ellington's orchestras, in my ears, were unique in the way they
performed harmonically and rhythmically. I don't hear that even in the
ghost Ellington orchestras.

Like you, I wish I could check out what LCJB did. Perhaps it will come
out on DVD.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband