[Dixielandjazz] How To Succeed in Killing a Trad Festival Without Really Trying

david richoux domitype at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 19:54:51 PST 2011

I don't think I qualify as a "Fig" - probably not - and I wouldn't
want to be one, even though I do like, perform, listen to, and
sometimes broadcast "Figgish" sorts of music. (I am putting quotes on
because it is really difficult to determine what the term really
means, musically, anymore.)

I have performed at Sacramento off and on more than 20 times since
1978, with the Churchill Street Jazz Band (Very SF Jazz Lu/Turk
style,) Zenith New Orleans Brass Band (not the original, but very much
in the tradition) and The California Repercussions (Eclectic Marching
Band.) I have seen the audience change as the years go on, but there
are still many people who enjoy the festival, whatever it is called.

Could it be better?

Probably, but at what cost? And who really determines what is
"Better?" - in the end, it is the audience that votes with their feet.
If they can afford a ticket and can get around the city, they can hear
a wide variety of musical styles that may interest them. If they can't
get around too easy they can find a spot and let the variety come to
them. If they can't afford a ticket they can enjoy some music in the
streets of Old Sac for free!

I don't think it can be improved very much by trying to limit the
musical styles available to the audience - times have changed and the
interest in wider varieties of music is obvious, especially since The
Internet has so greatly opened opportunities to hear the music of the
world.

By the way - Last night I went to a 5 group showcase of Balkan Brass
Bands - as interpreted by Bay Area and Seattle musicians, in a Oakland
warehouse art gallery - there were more young people having a great
time listening and dancing than I have ever seen at any OKOM band
performance outside of New Orleans. Am I saying Sacramento should have
a Balkan Brass Band?  Maybe ;-)  I was actually dancing, and that is
really unusual!

Dave Richoux