[Dixielandjazz] How To Succeed in Killing a Trad Festival Without Really Trying

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 13 14:02:41 PST 2011

On Nov 13, 2011, at 4:19 PM, Bill Haesler wrote:

> In his reply unmasking DJMLer lurker Don Jones, Stephen G Barbone
> wrote [in part]:
>> Furthermore I am sick and tired of a few old moldy figs and/or band
>> leaders who don't know how to entertain audiences, complaining
>> about the doers, who in the heat of battle, are trying to save and/
>> or resuscitate the remaining OKOM jazz festivals.
>
> Come on Steve, you've done it again.
> Misused the term and denigrated your genuine "moldy fig" listmates.
> A true mouldy fig couldn't care less about jazz festivals or
> nightclubs.
> We are too busy listening to our old jazz records, sorting out
> things like the Leo Reisman' Bubber Miley sessions, answering the
> 'who played what, where and when' queries, advising if a particular
> Fats Waller/Cab Calloway/Jimmy O'Bryant CD is still available, and
> the like.
> You are confusing OKOM old fogys with dedicated collectors/
> discographers/researchers/writers.
> Without whom there would be no OKOM jazz to complain about.
> If Guido is too busy, it shall be pistols/swords at dawn!
> Our second will be around with our card in the morning.
> *>)
> However, as a happy working bandleader, I agree wholeheartedly with
> you regarding "band leaders who don't know how to entertain
> audiences, complaining about the doers."
> And loved lurker Don's contribution.
> Very kind regards,
> Bill.

Dear Bill:

OOPS!!! You have wronged Don Jones as well as me. Very unusual for
such an accurate  "dedicated collector discographer/researcher/writer".

1) Don Jones was NOT the source of the "How to succeed in killing a
Trad Festival Without Really Trying." He is the publisher of "The
American Rag"  where the original letter of discontent about
"SUCKramento" was printed in the Letters to the Editor section. I
copied Don out of politeness since he does not always read DJML posts
and I started this thread because of that letter. I did not wish him
to be blindsided.

I plan to write a letter to editor (Don) in rebuttal to that nasty
piece of vitriol complaining about SUCKramento, Tom Rigney, and music
in general other than trad. (whatever that is)

2) I used the term moldy fig because the letter writer who had first
referred to himself as a "die hard traditionalist" later referred to
himself as a "fig". Perhaps he is confused?

I am not sure what a true moldy fig is but I do know what the kind of
fig the letter writer claimed to be,  Perhaps you should drum him out
of the corps? Remember also, I referred to "a few old moldy figs". If
the shoe does not fit, you needn't wear it.

Don Jones and I demand satisfaction. (vbg) Guido has agreed to
arrange the details and weaponry. He suggests rotten figs at 10 paces
as the weapons.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband