[Dixielandjazz] Roots of Dixieland Jazz. Part 3

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Nov 1 22:41:58 PDT 2011

Bill Haesler wrote [in part]
> These are non-Condon sides and were released on a Design LP (DLP-148) as by 'The Dixieland All Stars' ...However, "Deep Royal Blues"... has me stumped. but suspect that "Billboard March" be be the Kings of Dixieland, Crown LP CST246 rendition.

Dear Marek,
I've found 'em!
In the Robert Hilbert, David Niven Pee Wee Russell Discography 'Pee Wee Speaks'.
(And I was right about the Kings of Dixieland, Crown LP CST246 rendition, but not the personnel I gave.)
Here 'tis:

Dixieland All Stars.
Buck Clayton (t) Vic Dickenson (tb) Pee Wee Russell (cl) Bud Freeman (ts) Lou Carter (p) Champ Jones (sb) Jo Jones (d).
Recorded Boston, MA. 6 and 18 June 1959 at Ace Recording Studios.

Original release was probably the Omega label (OSL 52) as 'Dixieland A La Carte'.
"Deep Royal Blues" was originally titled "Synthetic Blues". Other titles used on LP reissues were ""School's Out", "Dixieland Blues", "Too Darn Much" and "Mason-Dixon Line Blues".
"Billboard Blues" was originally titled "Billboard". And also had other names on the various LP reissues.

There were 13 tunes recorded and selections appeared on 45 (count 'em) LPs using a variety of alternative album and tune titles.
They are also on a Jazz Unlimited CD (JUCD2037) called - wait for it - 'Dixieland All Stars'.
What else?
Kind regards,
Bill.