[Dixielandjazz] Roots of Dixieland Jazz. Part 3

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 02:11:31 PDT 2011

Thank you, Bill.
However, the first question someone asked when the record started was
"who is on bass saxophone?"  I'll have to listen again (probably not
in the next few days, for reasons not relevant here), but the question
still remians unanswered (unless it is a baritone playing in low
register).
Scroll down for another comment.
>> These are non-Condon sides
> Dear Marek,
> I've found 'em!
> In the Robert Hilbert, David Niven Pee Wee Russell Discography 'Pee Wee Speaks'.
> (And I was right about the Kings of Dixieland, Crown LP CST246 rendition, but not the personnel I gave.)
> Here 'tis:
>
> Dixieland All Stars.
> Buck Clayton (t) Vic Dickenson (tb) Pee Wee Russell (cl) Bud Freeman (ts) Lou Carter (p) Champ Jones (sb) Jo Jones (d).
> Recorded Boston, MA. 6 and 18 June 1959 at Ace Recording Studios.

I thought Freeman was on those tracks.  Iprobably have them somewhere
in my collection, too.

> Original release was probably the Omega label (OSL 52) as 'Dixieland A La Carte'.
> "Deep Royal Blues" was originally titled "Synthetic Blues". Other titles used on LP reissues were ""School's Out", "Dixieland Blues", "Too Darn Much" and "Mason-Dixon Line Blues".
> "Billboard Blues" was originally titled "Billboard". And also had other names on the various LP reissues.

Cheers