[Dixielandjazz] Roots of Dixieland Jazz. Part 2

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Nov 1 20:37:20 PDT 2011

Marek Boym wrote [in part]:
...The numbers on "Roots" are: That's a Plenty, Ballin' the Jack, Whenever There's Love, Royal Garden Blues, Indiana, Deep Royal Blues
> Billboard Dixieland (very similar to "Angry," so here's my excuse), Cheery, Jada, It's Been so Long.
> The collective personnel given is: Pee Wee Russell, Billy Butterfield, Bobby Hackett, Buck Clayton, Max Kaminsky, Jess Stacy, Bobby (sic.) Haggart, George Wettling and Jo Jones (grouping by instrument is mine). However, one can hear trombone (probably more than one trombonist; one I believe to be George Brunis), tenor saxophone (Bud Freeman/?/ and another), a bas sax, a baritone sax, etc. ... all recorded in 1944...

Dear Marek,
(Others my wish to tune out.)
I have three different LP versions of items from these two Eddie Condon sessions, which caused confusion when 10 titles first appeared in 1957 as "Confidentially, It's Condon" on a Design Records LP (DLP 47). Design Records was a division of Pickwick Sales of New York, later Pickwick International
Subsequent LP reissues, using some of the sides from the Design Condon LP include:
Pickwick Int. PR111, Gala GLP342, Trip TLP5800, Jazz Club (F)1652.371, Olympic (E)OL7122, DJM (E)DJML065, Vogue (F)DP35, Allegro (E)ALL791, Everest 924730 Archive of Folk & Jazz FS274, Jazz Bird (E)JAZ2012, Music For Pleasure 165.237 & Murray Hill S53958/5.
(I have:
•Gala GLP342, 'Confidentially, It's Condon'. A reissue of DLP-47. (Same cover and all 10 titles. http://www.musicstack.com/album/eddie+condon/confidentially+it's+condon
•Everest 924730 Archive of Folk & Jazz FS274, 'The Roots of Dixieland Jazz'. (8 titles from DLP-47.)
•Allegro ALL 791, 'Eddie Condon & Dixieland All Stars'. (5 titles from DLP-47 on Side 1.) Originally a Design Records LP DLP-148 'Spotlight on Eddie Condon & Dixieland All Stars'.
The Condon source material is from 16" Associated Program Service radio transcriptions recorded at the Muzak studio in New York in 1944.
The discs were for available, by subscription only to US radio stations.
There were two sessions, 8 June 1944 (15 titles) and 24 October 1944 (14 titles).
Here is the information for those on your 'Roots' LP:

Eddie Condon's Jazz Concert Orchestra.
Collective personnel for all 15 titles -
Bobby Hackett (c) Billy Butterfield (t) Hot Lips Page (t/vcl) Benny Morton (tb) Pee Wee Russell (cl) Ernie Caceres (bar/cl) Gene Schroeder (p) Eddie Condon (g) Bob Haggart (sb) Joe Grauso (d) Liza Morrow (vcl).
New York. 8 June 1944.
All are on a Stash CD 'The Definitive Eddie Condon' ST-CD-530. (I have this.)

Here are the individual breakdowns:

"That's A Plenty", Ballin' The Jack", "Cherry".
Hackett, Russell, Caceres, Schroeder, Condon, Haggart, Grauso.

"Wherever There's Love".
Butterfield, Russell, Caceres, Schroeder, Condon, Haggart, Grauso.

"Ja Da".
Butterfield, Hackett, Russell, Caceres, Schroeder, Condon, Haggart, Grauso.

"Royal Garden Blues".
Butterfield, Hackett, Morton, Russell, Caceres, Schroeder, Condon, Haggart, Grauso.

Eddie Condon's Jazz Concert Orchestra.
Collective personnel for all 14 titles:
Eddie Condon's Jazz Concert Orchestra.
Muggsy Spanier (c) Billy Butterfield, Max Kaminsky (t) Lou McGarity (tb) Edmond Hall, Pee Wee Russell (cl) Ernie Caceres (bar/cl) Jess Stacy (p) Eddie Condon (g) Bob Haggart (sb) George Wettling (d) Lee Wiley (vcl)
New York. 24 October 1944.
Six titles are on a Stash CD 'The Definitive Eddie Condon' ST-CD-530. (I have this.)

Here are the individual breakdowns:
"It's Been So Long".
Hall, Stacy, Haggart, Wettling. (Condon inaudible.)

"Back Home In Indiana".
Kaminsky, McGarity, Caceres (cl), Condon, Haggart, Wettling.

Now for the other two titles on your 'The Roots Of Dixieland Jazz' LP, "Billboard Dixieland" and "Deep Royal Blues".
These are non-Condon sides and were released on a Design LP (DLP-148) as by 'The Dixieland All Stars' (refer my note about Allegro LP above) but suspect that "Billboard March" be be the Kings of Dixieland, Crown LP CST246 rendition.
Probably Dick Cathcart (t) Moe Schneider (tb) Heinie Beau or Matty Matlock (cl) Eddie Miller (ts) Ray Sherman (p) George Van Eps or Allan Reuss (g) Red Callender (sb) Nick Fatool (d). Los Angeles. 1959
Unfortunately, I do not have this LP to make a comparison.
However, "Deep Royal Blues" by the Dixieland All Stars has me stumped. The tenor man sounds like Eddie Miller.
I could not find the tune elsewhere in my listings, so it may have been retitled for the 'Roots' LP.
I'm still working on this one.
More later. My head is hurting.
*>)
Kind regards,