[Dixielandjazz] Smokey Stover - trumpet

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 1 20:01:58 PDT 2011

> "Robert Ringwald" <rsr at ringwald.com>
>
> I sent Jim Maihack the email asking about Smokey Stover.  When I
> first started playing intermissions for Turk at Earthquake Magoons,
> Smokey was on drums.  Turk wasn't using a banjo.  I used to sit in
> the last set on banjo with the band.
>
> Here is Jim's reply.
>

> """
> I worked with both these guys.  Smokey the trumpeter died still
> owing me $150 but
> I know he owed other guys more than that.  He was really a hot
> powerhouse player
> who never got the recognition he deserved.

Yes indeed, Stover was a " hot powerhouse player" a Jim said. To see/
here him back in 1976, courtesy of Jazzman Joe, turn up your sound and
go to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbOGY0WXl1Q

IMO a hell of a band musically and energy wise. And look at that YOUNG
crowd. They are all OLD now.

Even a washboard there for Bill Haesler.

The site need IDs on the other players besides Stover, Hedges and
Dawson.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband