[Dixielandjazz] Santo Pecora

Don Ingle cornet at 1010internet.com
Mon May 30 10:23:55 PDT 2011

On 5/30/2011 5:35 AM, Jim Kashishian wrote:
> Found this quite by accident on YouTube:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaYZ8OFe6iU
>
> This is Santo Pecora on trombone, and the amazing George Girard on trumpet.
> Other members of the band can be seen on the LP that is shown on YouTube.
>
> I bought a salmon colored (cover) LP from Santo himself when I visited New
> Orleans for my one&  only nite ever there in 1957.  I was 16, and my parents
> took me to the Famous Door where he was performing.  Part of my early
> ear-training was done with that LP!
>
> Great sounding band, and a very strong trombonist.
>
> Jim

Jim:
Jean and Iwere married in N.O. in Nove,ber of '55 and I was -laying with
Ted Weems at the Blue Room of the old Roosevelt Hotel. It was our
honeymoon after hours when I would get off then we'd hit the Vieux
Carre' to catch Santo, and head for the Mardi Gras Lounge where Freddie
Kohlman led a band ( who had to play from a platform back of the bar,
but could not mix with audience as N.O.still enforced segregation laws
at the time. The owner, Sid DaVilla, a fine clarinetist, would play with
the band but had to stand in the well of his own joint to do so as he
could not be on the stand above with a band of color.  (A time for
stupidity to flaunt itself!)
Papa Celestine played at the Pollack a few doors up from the Famous Door.
Lots of other jazz going on then.
We'd wind things up at dawn by the river drinking chicory coffee and
eating bienets and spending a half hour getting all the powered sugar
off our hands and clothes. Ah - young love.
Our first wedded month in N.O. after months of one-nighters for me. Good
glue in that Cajun food - we've chalked up 56 years so far.
It was a time to remember as we'll not likely see another like it in our
remaining span. Not on that scale or with assurance that it will be
there tomorrow.
Keep the faith, and when in doubt play a G and smile at the older
ladies. God bless the good old broads - the younger ones could care less
what you play anyway.
Don Ingle