[Dixielandjazz] FW: Solos

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Mon May 30 02:48:08 PDT 2011

Marek wrote:
>Have you ever heard Blue and Sentimental without a saxophone?  You might
have, but it is rare.
We do it, Marek with trombone, answered by the trumpet, and no reed player.
It is on our latest recording.

Marek continues:
>And Rex Stewart recorded "Petit Fleur" as a cornet rather than clarinet or
soprano sax solo, and it sounds very good indeed.
Of course, it was Chris Barber's band that made that one a world-wide hit
with Monty Sunshine playing the lead on clarinet.  I, in my youth then,
thought that Chris Barber was a fine clarinetist, as there was no mention of
Mr. Sunshine on the jukeboxes in the U.S.   :>

Jim