[Dixielandjazz] Band Sound

Larry Walton Entertainment larrys.bands at charter.net
Fri May 13 15:22:44 PDT 2011

There is a big band here in St. Louis that improves directly according to
the number of subs.  I'm not saying anything out of school because everyone
in the band including the leader jokes about it.  Their sub list is stronger
than the regular players for the most part.  It's a reading band so you hire
a good reader / player and the band isn't hurt.

It's different if the band is using head charts.

I am having problems finding subs because all the guys that can not only
play the tunes but make an arrangement on the fly are dying off.  I haven't
found anyone below 60 that can do it.

I use lead sheets and young (below 60-65) horn players don't know what to do
with them except read them down which usually sucks.  They have no idea what
to do when I'm playing lead.  Most don't know what trading 4's is and can't
do harmony or counter melodies.  They don't know the other things that you
need to know such as keeping eye contact with the leader to see who takes
the next one, not practicing on stage, etc.  A lot of musicians act like
they just got off the Turnip truck.  It's all because there are few places
to play and learn the skills.
Larry
StL