[Dixielandjazz] Sacramento Jazz Festival

jjcrhhi at aol.com jjcrhhi at aol.com
Fri May 13 13:32:15 PDT 2011

Thanks to Charlie Hull for a well thought out response regarding the Sacramento Jazz Festival.  I went on to the sacjazz.com website and counted the bands...it seems we explain this every year...and found that there were 28 trad and/or swing bands (including some of the best in the world)  plus 15 trad or swing youth bands and 5 straight ahead jazz groups.  All of the special guests are trad and/or swing stars, and the Featured Artists include Banu Gibson, Black Dogs, Neville Dickie & Danny Coots, Vince Bartels Int'l Swing Ensemble, The Tin Men (New Orleans), and Hal Smith's International Sextet, along with Zydeco Grammy Winner Lisa Haley & the Zydekats and boogie woogie piano great Carl Sonny Leyland.  There are 28 bands that don't fit the trad/swing category.  These include 4 latin jazz groups, 4 great zydeco bands, 4 blues bands, 3 tribute bands (Johnny Cash, Santana and Steely Dan), 3 R&B/Soul/Funk groups, an Afrobeat group, a Western Swing group, 2 marching bands, as well as a Pops Orchestra and a fine chorus,, both in Memorial Day concert performances.

We have great music for all lovers of great music to enjoy...something for everyone...and we have more trad & swing than anyone can eat in four days.  We have expanded the festival over the years to serve our entire community of music lovers, but we are truly committed to traditional jazz and swing and youth education in Trad & Swing.  We don't have heavy metal and we don't have mud wrestling, but you can still have a wonderful time at the Sacramento Jazz Festival.
See you there,
Jim Roberson