[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Takes a Back Seat at N.O. J & H. -- Sacramento

Jim O'Briant jobriant at garlic.com
Fri May 13 18:17:34 PDT 2011

Bob Ringwald wrote, in part:

> ... the COMMENTS above REALLY, really . . . . PISS ME OFF.

> ... shame on you for publicly degrading the Sacramento Festival and
> insulting the many people who have worked so hard ...

I don't think I said anything that was denigrating or insulting.

The New Orleans festival in question, according to the review that started
this discussion, calls itself a jazz festival but has a lot more non-jazz
groups than jazz bands. After many years of being strictly a Dixieland
festival, the Sacramento festival has moved in the same direction, to
whatever degree. Is it denigrating or insulting for me to describe what, as
Bob says,

> Everyone knows  that Sacramento has added other forms of
> Jazz related music that bring in paying customers

It's only denigrating or insulting if diversification is a bad thing. If
this diversification is a good thing, then there's absolutely nothing wrong
with saying that the Sacramento Festival has followed this path.

The quoted review also described a situation in New Orleans where a very
loud performing group drowned out a jazz group in a nearby tent. I said that
that I'd experienced the same thing at Sacramento. Is it denigrating or
insulting for me say this? Only if the festival people don't want to correct
problems, and thus don't want to hear about it.

If diversification is a good thing, and if ensuring that people in every
venue can hear the group they came to hear, then what's the problem????

Jim O'Briant
Gilroy, CA