[Dixielandjazz] Steve Gilmore

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu May 12 07:09:27 PDT 2011

> Steve Gilmore <stevegilmorebass at gmail.com>
> To: Norman Vickers <nvickers1 at cox.net>
> Cc: dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com
>

> Had Many experiences simular to that over the years. One of the more
> memorable was playing with Phil Woods at the George wein's Nice jazz
> festivalin the 80s. By that time there wasn't much regular jazz but we
> were one of 3 bands playing in a large field. We were playing at the
> same time as "Fats Domino" and you would hear his set very clearly -
> especially during the bass solos. Of course quotes like " I got my
> thrill on blueberry hill were rife thoughout our improvisation as
> expected. the old expression " you can put jazz anywhere" fits very
> nicely ( excuse the pun ) here.
>               Steve Gilmore

Hey Steve:

Nice to see you on the DJML. Sonny just sent me an mp3 of you, him and
"drummer X" playing "All The Things You Are". Swingin. I'll be gigging
with him this afternoon and ask him again about your miss spent youths
in Miami. Wine women and song pales by comparison as a descriptor.

Phil who??? <grin>

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband