[Dixielandjazz] Smoke-Free Florida was $1, 000 sponsor for Penscolla JazzFest

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Tue May 10 14:11:52 PDT 2011

To:  DJML;  Musicians & Jazzfans lists

From: Norman Vickers, Jazz Society of Pensacola

Our listmate  jazz author Charlie Suhor of Montgomery, AL mentioned that I
should post the "Smoke-Free" Florida article from American Rag on the lists.
Thanks, Charlie. Hadn't occurred to me.

So-FYI.  Thanks.

Norman

>From American Rag, a California traditional jazz monthly

May 2011 issue, page one (below the fold)

"TOBACCO FREE" EARNS FLORIDA FEST $1,000

                     By Don Jones

After learning that the Jazz Society of Pensacola (JSOP) had been given
$1,000 because they had declared their festival a "smoke-free" festival, the
AR contacted their Jazz Doc, Dr. Norman Vickers for verification.

Vickers replied,' it went like this.  JSOP made the decision we'd be a
smoke-free festival. Jus by declaration.  About a week later, we got a
"cold" call from "Tobacco-Free Florida" about our JazzFest ((this is part of
the big tobacco settlement.) the representative asked if we were a
smoke-free festival and Kathy Lyon, our Administrator, answered in the
affirmative.  Then they offered to be a sponsor of our event.  We didn't
seek them out-didn't think about it, even."

The Tobacco-Free Florida website is www.floridaquitline.com

In an effort to seek out more information on this subject, I contacted the
American Cancer Society, the COPD Foundation, The National Cancer Institute,
American Lung Association, but none of these organizations offered anything
like Tobacco-Free Florida, and were surprised to hear of their $1,000 gift
to organizations like Pensacola Jazz Society who had smoke-free events.

My e-mails and conversations may have lit a fire which may produce something
in the future, but nothing at the moment.

For those not familiar with Pensacola Jazz Society's festival, it is an
outdoor event, but their three monthly jazz programs are held inside local
restaurants which don't allow smoking.

-End-

Note: The American Rag, 20137 Skyline Ranch Dr., Apple Valley, CA 92308-5035

Phone/Fax 760-247-5145  Don Jones, Editor