[Dixielandjazz] Audience Connect 101

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu May 5 06:36:19 PDT 2011

Thanks Gary Kiser, for that note about how Bobby McFerrin connects
with his audience. He is a master at it. We bandleaders should all be
so good at it.

To relate the importance of Connection to OKOM audiences, the late
Kenny Davern was also a master at it. Those of us who saw Kenny as a
Band Leader during his life can well attest to that. He knew how to
get an audience in the palm of his hand. One of the components of his
success in OKOM was that practiced and preached his realization that
there was more to a jazz performance than just playing music. He opined:

"You must relate to your audience, you must communicate with them, you
must know what their pulse is, what they feel. They're there to see
you and hear you,. and it's the least you can do to involve them. It's
veery important to cause a relaxation, a tension and a rapport. . . .
the music we play has been relegated to a sanctified role, where
everybody is supposed to sit there and not talk. You are supposed to
deliver some kind of emotional message to them. Its garbage. You are
supposed to dance, have a good time, talk. Get up, flirt, whatever. "

SOURCE: Interview (interviewer unknown)  on Nov 14, 1985 at Heresford
UK, broadcast on BBC.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband