[Dixielandjazz] What Makes Music ERxpressive?

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Thu May 5 07:36:46 PDT 2011

A good question.
Or even successful.
Back in 1983, my friend Donna visited the Edinburgh Jazz FEstival and
bought me an LP by the Polish Old Timers (sic), a band she raved
about.  I put in on my turntable and was extremely disappointed.
True, it featured Henryk Majewski, whom I had long known and admired.
but sounded like an OK amateur band.  And then I heard Donna's
cassettes of the band, recorded live - and wow!  What a glorious
sound!  Hot oh warhorses, thoughtful on ballads, low-down when playing
the blues.  I have since acquired all (at least to the best of my
knowldge) their subsequent LPs, and are they G-O-O-D!

Likewise, a friend acquired a CD by a stellar line-up assembled for
that purpose, playing well-known, but mostly not overplayed, songs.
What a disappointment!  Not a bad record, really, swinging, but....not
what one would expect from these people!  I have heard them many
times, both live and on record, and they were much better.  A day off,
or over-arrangement because of the concept?  Difficult to say.  In
this case, I shall not disclose the names, as most of them are still
playing, although not as a band.

I could bring more examples, but I do not wish to bore you to death.

Cheers