[Dixielandjazz] Jon Erik Kellso

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue May 3 07:29:37 PDT 2011

On May 2, 2011, at 7:23 AM, Marek Boym wrote:

> Hello folks,
> Difficult to conceive of Kellso in a West Coast context.  Perhaps he
> often plays with West Coast style bands in the States, but my friends
> and I have always considered him a sophisticated, thoughtful player,
> more swing than trad.  Unlike most of my jazz friends,I have heard
> Kellso live several times in Europe, and that is the impression I got.
> Both his Arbors recordings and the Ear REgulars videos corroborate
> that picture.
> Cheers

Dear Marek and List Mates:

Jon Erik Kellso is that kind of rare professional musician who fits in
equally well to virtually any genre of "dixieland" or mainstream jazz
he wishers to play.

Locally in the NYC metropolitan these days, he can be heard, when in
town, every Monday and Tuesday with Vince Giordano's Nighthawks at
Sophia's, Sundays with his own group at the Ear Inn, and Wednesdays
with the David Ostwald Louis Armstrong Centennial Band. In addition to
subbing with various other NYC jazz bands.

Prior to that over the past 25 years or so he has played with bands
led by Jim Dapogny, J.C. Heard,  Doug Finke's Independence Hall Jazz
Band, Orange Kellin's Manhattan Ragtime Orchestra, Matt Munisteri's
Band, Brock Mumford's Band and done a tour with Ken Peplowski's
"Kingdom of Swing". In addition he is on the soundtrack of the movie
"The Aviator".

The various styles of these bands are just a small sample of his body
of work exhibiting his versatility and expertise.  There is a lot more
out there, including West Coast Style.

For a treat, listen to his record; "Blue Roof Blues; A Love Letter to
New Orleans". A tribute to post Katrina New Orleans, in which Kellso
shines as a "New Orleans style" trumpeter and composer, honoring the
N.O. tradition but adding a contemporary flavor.

He has done it all and continues to do so.

I can't speak for him but I believe he prefers looser, swinging OKOM
to the more rigid styles. One thing for sure, He is among the best
OKOM trumpeters in the world today as well as a fine gentleman.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband