[Dixielandjazz] Reply from The Glenn Boys was one of my Favorite Trombone players.

Dixiejazzdata dixiejazzdata at aol.com
Tue May 3 09:44:42 PDT 2011

 I got a reply for Robert's inquiry about the mute being used by Tyree Glenn from his two Twin sons.

While not OKOM players per se, they both play Sax and Flute,  and can certainly play OKOm if called upon to do so.

Tyree Jr. has a Big R&B Soul Band in Germany,  and Roger fronts his own Latin Jazz ensemble in the S.F. Bay Area, California.

Cheers,  and enjoy the links provided below if you choose.

 Hi everyone,

I believe my father was playing a harmon mute for a trumpet when he was using a bathroom plunger to create a unique wah wah sound, and a bucket mute that attaches to the bell of the trombone to create a soft sound.

Roger Glenn

Hi Robert and Everybody,
                                                        Nice to hear          about the interest in our father and I really do not know 2          million jokes!! (It's approaching around 3 million!! :-) )  As for          the mutes that my father used, I remember some of them but I          really could not tell you the name or what type they were.          There was one that he used that had some sort of "Clips" that          clipped on the outside of the bell and was red on top. I also          remember that he did have a small little "Silver Colored" type          that was in the shape of the instrument that I think they call          in Latin Music, a "Potato", which has holes in it. This mute          was placed in the trombone and was very small. Perhaps if you          were contact my brother, Roger, he could tell you a little          more, as he played with my father very often.

                                       I hope that this helps you in          some way and if you have any other questions, please feel free          to contact me again.

                           Wishing you all the best,

                              Kindest regards,

                                   Tyree Glenn Jr.

          PS. For information on myself, please go to my website at:          www.tyree-glenn.com

          Here is a new website page that I just made today and I hope          that you will enjoy this one as well.

    http://www.indiemusicchannel.com/profile/TyreeGlennJr

       I am also including some links for your "Personal            Enjoyment" of my father with Louis Armstrong.

          Here are several Links to videos of my father on Trombone            with Louie Armstrong:

           http://video.aol.com/video-detail/louis-armstrong-thats-my-desire/3828699970

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnRqYMTpXHc