[Dixielandjazz] Spotify

andy.ling at quantel.com andy.ling at quantel.com
Tue May 3 04:00:34 PDT 2011

Bill Haesler wrote on 01/05/2011 00:37:06:

> It would seem that Spotify is available in Australia.
> But only for Windows users.
>     http://www.zdnet.com.au/downloads/windows/spotify_sw-10857177.htm

I'm not sure that will really work. Spotify is available for
Macs and Windows and even Linux. All of these can be downloaded
from the "official" spotify web site (http://www.spotify.com)

Mac users can download spotify from

http://www.spotify.com/int/download/mac/

To use the software you need an account on spotify.
You can only create an account if you are in an approved country.
Currently the only countries listed are Finland, France,
Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden and UK. There is an
"international" option, but this takes you to a
"why isn't it available in my country" page.

> We dedicated Mac people miss out once again.
> But no prizes for guessing why on this particular one.
> However, I found a link that details how to use Spotify if you live
> in the US or other countries.
>     http://crenk.com/how-to-use-spotify-if-your-based-in-usa-or-
> other-countries/

You may find the steps detailed here will work for Aus & Mac too.
It describes a way of diverting all your accesses to spotify
through a server that is in the UK. This fools spotify into
thinking you are in the UK and so lets you sign up.

It might be worth trying for a free account, but I'm not sure
I would sign away any money. You might loose it for breaking
the T&Cs.

> Slight thread change.
> Unfortunately, my access to music on the Red Hot Jazz site is still
> currently unavailable.
> Notwithstanding some kind off-list assistance from listmate Andy Ling.

Sorry to hear it's still not sorted.

What we need is someone with time on their hands and some web space
to take all the red hot jazz real media files and convert them
to mp3s. Then set up a clone of the site with the new audio files.

It's a shame the current maintainers of the site aren't easier
to contact. Maybe some agreement could be struck to do this
properly.

Regards

Andy Ling

--

This e-mail is intended for the named addressees only. Its contents may be
privileged or confidential and should be treated as such. If you are not

Quantel is the trade name used by Quantel Holdings Limited and its
subsidiaries.  Quantel Holdings Limited is registered in England & Wales.
Registration No: 4004913
Contact details for all Quantel Offices and Companies can be found on our
website www.quantel.com or by writing to the holding company.
Registered address: Turnpike Road, Newbury, Berkshire, RG14 2NX, United
Kingdom