[Dixielandjazz] Jon Erik Kellso

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Mon May 2 10:34:25 PDT 2011

Marek Boym wrote:

> Difficult to conceive of Kellso in a West Coast context.  Perhaps he
> often plays with West Coast style bands in the States, but my friends
> and I have always considered him a sophisticated, thoughtful player,
> more swing than trad.  Unlike most of my jazz friends,I have heard
> Kellso live several times in Europe, and that is the impression I got.
 > Both his Arbors recordings and the Ear REgulars videos corroborate
> that picture.

Dear Marek,

As with actors, sometimes musicians get type-cast.  Someone hears them play in a particular style and don't realize that they can play other styles.

A true pro can often play different styles, depending on what the job calls for.  J-E is one of those true professionals.

I, for instance, feel equally at home playing several different styles of music.  I made my living doing this.  One night I would perhaps be playing soft, background cocktail type music for a dinner crowd.  The next night I might be playing Dixieland in a 6 or 7-piece Jazz Band.

The next night I may be playing in a straight-ahead Jazz trio or quartet situation.

The next night I might be playing in a "Honky-Tonk" style banjo/piano pizza parlor sing-along style.

The next night I may be playing a set at a Ragtime Festival.

For many years I made my living doing this.  I supported a wife, 3-kids and two girlfriends...

--Bob (Don't tell my wife about the girlfriends) Ringwald