[Dixielandjazz] Jon Erik Kellso

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Mon May 2 12:41:17 PDT 2011

Dear Bob,
I'm not sure "typecast" is the right word in the context.
Kellso is a very sophisticated musician; I have heard his playing with
Giordano, with Dixieland bands and with swing bands, and he fit in
very well.  The Yerba Buena style is another matter.
But perhaps you are right - Leon Oakley had been a West Coast (style,
not area) player to me until I heard the Wild Bill Centennial.

>> Difficult to conceive of Kellso in a West Coast context.
> As with actors, sometimes musicians get type-cast.  Someone hears them play in a particular style and don't realize that they can play other styles.
>
> A true pro can often play different styles, depending on what the job calls for.  J-E is one of those true professionals.

Wasn't Davison a true professional?  But have you ever heard him (or
Ruby Braff) play West Coast?  There is a story (which I rather doubt)
of Wild Bill unable to make himself heard when he tried to play with
the Yerba Buena...

> I, for instance, feel equally at home playing several different styles of music.  I made my living doing this.  One night I would perhaps be playing soft, background cocktail type music for a dinner crowd.  The next night I might be playing Dixieland in a 6 or 7-piece Jazz Band.
>
> The next night I may be playing in a straight-ahead Jazz trio or quartet situation.

I don't understand the term "staitght-ahead jazz."  Sounds
meaningless.  To me it spells "stay away."  I may be wrong, of course,
since a ragtime and trad player (these things somehow go together,
especially insofar as pianists are concerned) plays it, but I have the
feeling that the term is so wide as to encompass everything.
Especially with horns.  Piano trios and quartets have flourished since
times immemorial, and so many come to mind: Teddy Wilson, Earl Hines,
Hank Jones, you name them, played in a trio and quartet context.

> --Bob (Don't tell my wife about the girlfriends) Ringwald

I won't provided you don't tell mine.
Best regards,
Marek