[Dixielandjazz] Diary and Larry's response

Kent Murdick kmurdick at jaguar1.usouthal.edu
Mon Mar 28 05:54:37 PDT 2011

I liked Larry's response, but I would like to add a few things.  There
are a lot of people out there who try for years to improvise and can't
get anywhere, or are starting this activity late in life.  By late in
life I mean older than 18.

I liked Larry's thoughts  on improvising around the melody, but I don't
see that there is a big difference between this and improvising  around
four or five chord tones. I find that because I can solo bit around the
chord tones, that I can do so around the melody as well (in fact I'm
doing  more of that lately).  The fact is there is only one initial
goal, and that is to be able to play what you hear on the fly. It
doesn't really matter how you get there.

A guy approached our street duo on Saturday.  He had been playing
trumpet for years and still couldn't figure out how one played the
changes.  He had been trying to do it by ear.  I suggested that he do it
"by the numbers" and the ear would follow.  Just playing and failing
won't do anythng for you ear.