[Dixielandjazz] Diary and Larry's response

Larry Walton Entertainment larrys.bands at charter.net
Mon Mar 28 11:34:10 PDT 2011

I think you missed the part where I said It's useful to be able to do both.
I may have said that off list.

You are right about age being a factor but it is.  I learned guitar when I
was about 30 and just never became fluent even though I played it every day.
On the other hand I can improvise on trumpet fairly well and I never play
it.  I have no clue why.

I guess there is something to be said for by the numbers and the ear will
follow but I think that if you improv around the melody you are more likely
to remember what you did and the result again IMHO more pleasant.  I guess
that's a matter of taste.

To play around the chords and using chord tones implies that you can chord
spell and hopefully a bar ahead.  I could improvise years before I even knew
what a chord was.

In the dark ages music was not necessarily printed with chord tones.  I was
a sophomore in college sitting in back in a theory class.  There was a guy
that did arrangements and he was using those mysterious things.  I
said....what is that?  In them days colleges didn't teach that jazz stuff.
Man I must be really old!!!!

There's a whole lot more to improv than just the right notes.  There's
rhythm, volume, vibrato and inflections.  There's probably more but just
honking through a solo isn't necessarily pleasing.  I think that's why so
many guys like to play lots of notes very fast.  That way no one will notice
all the really cool stuff  that they are leaving out.

There is a friend of mine here in St Louis named Don Clauson.  Don played in
the Kenton band.  His solos are an absolute marvel.  He is the only one that
can weave in quotes that I like.  I'm not a big fan of quotes.  He pulls all
the elements together.  Every time he does a solo it's different and more
wonderful than the time before.

I find that the best solos often incorporate both vertical and linear ideas.

Since linear improv strongly implies composition on the fly, it also implies
the ability to do that and some people just can't.

The biggest obstacle to improv seems to be the inability of many musicians
to tear themselves away from the printed page.  Another is the fear of
making mistakes.

I think of all the intellectual / mechanical approaches to improv as being
akin to spelling each word in your mind before you could say the word.  That
would be very hard to do and if you did it I think that you would lose the
thought long before finishing a sentence.  There would be obvious glitches
if you couldn't spell a word.  Painting by numbers also comes to mind.  How
many times have you heard musicians lose the key or become obviously lost
half way through a solo?  It's because they can't process all that stuff.

I sort of go on auto pilot after the first note.  All I have to do is
imagine what I want to hear and it comes out the horn and sometimes it's not
even that.  Most of the time I don't even think about it.  Gives me time to
girl watch. LOL

Another factor in fluent improv is a mastery of the instrument.  You must
know what a given note or interval is going to sound like.  That does not
mean perfect pitch but good relative pitch is pretty handy.

Since we are all different each will have a different approach to playing.
I would never be really good at vertical jazz because I really don't like it
that much.

There is an instance that playing chord tones might really help and that is
play or sing the bass notes.  This will give you a sense of flow.
Larry