[Dixielandjazz] Verses

Don Ingle cornet at 1010internet.com
Thu Mar 24 15:00:47 PDT 2011

On 3/23/2011 9:02 PM, Eric Holroyd wrote:
> VERSE: The part of a tune that's disposable, except to its composer.
>
> I LIKE verses!
>
> Without the verse The Sheik Of Araby is a quite banal tune.
>
> The choruses of AIn’t Misbehavin’, Someday Sweetheart, Ain’t Gonna GIve Nobody None ‘O This Jellyroll are all ‘set up’ beautifully by first having the verse played – or preferably sung.
>
> There are hundreds of others too...
>
> Eric Holroyd

Eric is spot on.
I recommend listening to the verse of "More Than You Know" as a prime
example of how effective a good verse is in setting up the main chorus.
And do not forget how "Old Blue Eyes" recorded the verse to Star Dust"
and then left off the"Sometimes I wonder"  chorus completely. With the
lush background and the Parish words this verse stands alone and is pure
magic in itself. Verses? Love 'em. Shame the garbage called Top 40 hits
of today do not have verses. Anything but what they pass off as music
would be an improvement.
Don Ingle