[Dixielandjazz] Band loyalty

Bob Romans cellblk7 at comcast.net
Wed Mar 23 18:43:18 PDT 2011

Gingerly stepping up onto my pedestal...
This bothersome topic has been running through my mind for a long time.
It's gotten to the place where bands are hired by jazz clubs to perform for
their monthly sessions, and when they get there, 3,4,5 subs are in the
"name" band. Is it just me that believes when a band is booked, it should be
the regular members of the band? I remember once when a music director
booked a
band to perform at the Pismo Beach session, and only the leader was there
with all subs...the music director said "where's the band I booked?" (that
band will
remain nameless...if you want to know, email me privately)
In this day of great and talented musicians, it's always been my unspoken
belief that loyalty to ones band is primary. Sidemen in a band should be
able to accept gigs with other bands only if THEY'RE HOME band isn't booked
the
same time. Accept a gig with the stipulation that they will play the gig
unless they're band gets a gig in the meantime, and it's their loyalty to
their "home band" that wins.
A band has a certain reputation and the booking club rightfully, in MHO,
should hear THAT band. The band won't sound the same unless it's a jam band
only...arrangements disappear if there are subs. All of the jazz societies
Cell Block 7 performs  have their own jam sets and I don't feel that the
guest band
should be limited to jamming and not performing like they're expected.
Of course there are always emergencies that arise, but the quality of
performances, I believe, suffer even  when the very best subs are hired.
Northern
California is suffering a glut of great musicians who I am really honored to
have in Cell Block 7 as subs if need be, but as a leader I feel handicapped
when I have to worry about getting it right when on stage.
Semper Fi...
Ducking for cover in Lodi.

Warm regards,
Bob Romans,