[Dixielandjazz] Band loyalty

Bert Brandsma mister_bertje at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 24 00:51:52 PDT 2011

This is an interesting topic.
The problem has several points of view.
- Having musicians play exclusively in one band only works if the band has enough gigs to offer.
- Jazzclubs that want bands without subs, should start with paying bands professionaly.
Both matters are kind of utopia and always have been so.
The reason why even name leaders like Benny Goodman had a different band every few months lies partly in the unstability in employment, I think.They might have had regular dates for a while, but then suddenly there was a time with nothing.
You can't expect professional musicians to do nothing when the band has no work.
Then there is another matter, some musicians get bored after playing too long in one band, so for people like that it is healthy to some degree to change.
Building really a good band with people like that is very difficult, so a band leader has to be carefull with whom he wants to work.
Playing exclusively in one band might work for amateurs, not for pros, I'm afraid.
Kind regards,
Bert Brandsma