[Dixielandjazz] FW: Band loyalty

Bert Brandsma mister_bertje at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 24 10:54:23 PDT 2011

Jim, I agree with you.

I had the same when I was asked to help out with Chris Barber.
The date of the first gig, early March, I was still booked in the Cologne Opera House.
So I went to the organisers of the 27 dates in the Opera House and explained that I could get a tour of 7 gigs with the Barber band, if I could find a replacement for one day at the opera.
They were not happy having to miss me, but understood the situation (Even in the opera house they know Chris Barber's jazz band!) and the second alto was asked to play lead for this one day. A replacement came in for second alto.
It was more than a month before the actual date, so time enough.

My experience is that it is best to explain it, not come up with excuses or lies.
I could have come with a big story that it was legally to send a replacement by the nature of the contract, but that is not what it is about. Be reasonable to all sides and explain.

In the end a many everyone was happy, like second alto, who was now allowed to prove what she could do as lead, after playing 2nd for 6 years now.

Kind regards,

Bert Brandsma