[Dixielandjazz] Bob Roman's Question - Red Nichols

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 14 04:44:16 PDT 2011

On Mar 13, 2011, at 1:15 PM, dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com
wrote:

> "Bob Romans" <cellblk7 at comcast.net>
>

> The last tune of this clip shows Red putting his cornet down, but,
> to me it
> sounds like a cornet is still playing! How on earth did the
> recording studio
> do that in those early days?
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMSbryXNLZY

Nice clip Bob. I think it confirms the urban legend that Red Nichols
taught Milli Vanilli how to lip synch.

What I really loved about that clip is that (I think) the clarinetist
is Pee Wee Russell and the trombonist is Herb Taylor, both of whom
sound wonderful. Regarding Pee Wee, this is how he sounded before he
started experimenting. <grin>

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband