[Dixielandjazz] FW: Red Nichols Vitaphone

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Mon Mar 14 02:58:38 PDT 2011

On 13 March 2011 18:35, Bob Romans <cellblk7 at comcast.net> wrote:
> The last tune of this clip shows Red putting his cornet down, but, to
> me it sounds like a cornet is still playing! How on earth did the
recording
>Studio do that in those early days?

My first thoughts were, as Marvin suggested, that this film was shot while
the musicians followed by ear what had been previously recorded.  However,
if you watch the fingerings & slide movements of the musicians...even in
improvised passages, they are perfect, so that rules that one out.

I have done endless tv shows where the orchestra reads the charts, but is
not recorded, as the recording is already done previously in a recording
studio.  However, if there are improvised passages, this method won't work
with close camera shots....and, a director who cares about detail.

Marvin's other suggestion, that another of the horn players was playing at
the moment Red was conducting, is the most likely.

Jim