[Dixielandjazz] South Rampart Street

Bert Thompson dr_bert at juno.com
Thu Mar 10 11:08:31 PST 2011

 Bob, There is, indeed, a South Rampart Street in New Orleans--also a North Rampart Street.  The dividing line is Canal Street.  North Rampart Street is in the French Quarter. On my first visit to New Orleans in 1958 while on leave from the U.S.Army in Fort Campbell, Kentucky, I wanted to see and walk South Rampart Street (as I did for most tunes that have New Orleans names in their titles).  A cop car pulled up next to me and I was asked what I was doing in that area.  I was then told that it was not a good idea for a "white boy" to be there--but at least I wasn't arrested!  Those were the days ....  Regards,   Bert Thompson