[Dixielandjazz] New Orleans memories

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Thu Mar 10 12:24:51 PST 2011

>I was then told that it was not a good idea for a "white boy" to be there--

Bert, I was in New Orleans only once for one evening, in 1957, when my
mother decided to move from California to Florida.  I drove one car (a 1955
Bel-air Chevy...black with red interior...how cool is that?)all the way
(hauling a trailer) at the age of 17, while my mother was in another car
with her new husband!!!

Anyhow, although I didn't go walking, as you did, we did go to the Famous
Door and I heard Santo Pecora on trombone (bought an LP of his, also!).
Meanwhile, my mother's car was broken into and all of their clothes were
stolen.  The police said (not so PC for these times!) that half of colored
town would be well dressed the next morning!

That's my New Orleans memories. I lasted only my final year of High School
in St. Pete & caught a train (via Chicago) the day after graduation to
return to Long Beach and my previous band...South Frisco!  So much for New
Orleans & Florida!!

Jim Kash